Skip to content
Company

Models

Horch Typ 853 A, 1939, 5 l, 8 Zylinder (Reihe), 120 PS

Today's AUDI AG looks back at a history that spans more than 100 years of automobile construction. An exciting voyage through time that started in the late 19th century. The Saxon brands of Audi and Horch from Zwickau, Wanderer from Chemnitz and DKW from Zschopau played a decisive role in motor vehicle development in Germany. These four brands amalgamated in 1932 to form Auto Union AG – with the sign of the four rings.

Recent Press Releases

  • 01/19/17
    Company

    An Audi success story – 8 million cars with quattro drive

    The brand is celebrating a special milestone that also is a fitting occasion for this time of year: rolling off the production line at the new plant in San José Chiapa is the 8 millionth Audi with quattro drive – the technology that delivers a big, built-in boost in safety and driving pleasure, even on snow and ice. The milestone car is a garnet red Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI quattro*.
  • 02/16/11
    Company

    How DKW changed the automotive world

    The first Audi advertising with the ‘Vorsprung durch Technik’ slogan appeared 40 years ago, in 1971. Even then this technical leadership claim was well and truly justified. If we look back another 40 years we find DKW, one of the companies that later became Audi, introducing its F1 model at the 1931 International Automobile Exhibition in Berlin – the world’s first high-volume production car with front-wheel drive.
  • 05/26/09
    Company

    How the “Silver Arrow” legend was born

    75 years ago, one of the most dramatic chapters in the whole of motor sport history began. On May 27, 1934 the German racing cars that were soon to acquire the nickname “Silver Arrow” were entered for their first race, on the Avus racetrack in Berlin. Although neither Auto Union, the company from which Audi in its present-day form developed later, nor Mercedes Benz won that event, it was not long before these two manufacturers began to dominate international Grand Prix racing, a situation that prevailed until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. It seems almost incredible today, but by 1936 the Auto Union racing cars were reaching speeds of up to 380 kilometres an hour on the long straights of the Avus circuit – truly, the birth of a legend.

More Content

Back to top