Body and passive safetyBack to overview
Aeroacoustics is a major strength of all Audi models. The Audi e-tron raises this level even further and, as such, offers outstanding long-distance comfort. The body, which was specifically optimized in terms of vibration and acoustic comfort, provides the necessary foundation. At the same time, it together with the high-voltage battery provide for a high level of safety and rigidity.
Aluminum and steel: hybrid construction body
As is typical of the brand, the body of the Audi e‑tron is a hybrid construction of aluminum and steel. If the housing of the high-voltage battery is included, aluminum comprises 40 percent of the body. The remaining 60 percent breaks down into 17 percent hot-shaped steel and 43 percent cold-shaped steel. The Audi e‑tron has an unladen weight of 2,490 kilograms (5,489.5 lb), which is typical for an electric SUV.
All attachments, such as the doors, front hood and rear tailgate as well as the rear floor pan are made of aluminum. The crossbars in the engine compartment as well as the cross-members behind the front and rear bumpers are aluminum sections, whereas the strut domes are made of cast aluminum. Key components made of hot-shaped and thus ultra-high-strength steel – the A- and B-pillars, roof members, center tunnel, interior sills, floor cross-members and rear longitudinal members – comprise the strong backbone of the occupant cell. In a head-on collision, the three stress planes in the front end absorb the forces.
Safety and rigidity: high-voltage battery and body as a composite unit
Sophisticated measures have been taken to protect the high-voltage battery of the Audi e-tron. A strong enclosing frame of cast aluminum nodes and extruded sections, plus an aluminum plate 3.5 millimeters (0.1 in) thick protect against damage from stone impacts or curbs. Inside, a framework-like aluminum structure reinforces the battery system. Also comprised of extruded sections, it holds the cell modules like a typecase.
Including the housing with its sophisticated crash structures comprising 47 percent extruded aluminum sections, 36 percent aluminum sheet and 17 percent die cast aluminum parts, the battery system weighs around 700 kilograms (1,543.2 lb). It is bolted to the body structure of the Audi e-tron at 35 points. This increases its torsional rigidity by 27 percent and contributes to the high level of the safety of the Audi e-tron, as does the cooling system bonded to the outside of the battery housing. Compared to a conventional SUV, the Audi e-tron offers 45 percent higher torsional rigidity, a key parameter for precise handling and acoustic comfort.
Relaxed atmosphere: aeroacoustics and soundproofing
Another great strength of the e-tron body is the high vibrational and acoustic comfort. Those areas where forces are channeled into the body, particularly the connection of the axles, play an important role: Due to their high local rigidity they are resistant to excitations from the assemblies and the road.
Absorbing and insulating materials are used in the Audi e‑tron to effectively reduce solid-borne and airborne sound. Design-related openings and cavities within the body are sealed and filled systematically. Textile fabric and microfiber fleeces line the wheel arches to absorb noise. Relevant areas are also coated with a special material, thus reducing the vibration of the metal sheets. On the firewall, a complex multilayer structure dampens the sound penetration from the front-end to the interior. In the rear-end too, this kind of design of the new vehicle architecture with additional rear-axle drive is also taken into account. Furthermore, the electric motors are enclosed in noise-reducing capsules. Even the underbody paneling is designed accordingly. In the interior, specifically configured components, such as foam-backed carpets, ensure minimal noise in the Audi e-tron.
The second important factor for the relaxed atmosphere on board the Audi e-tron is the advanced aeroacoustics. As a rule, wind noise becomes the overriding component in any car from a speed of 85 km/h (52.8 mph). With the Audi e-tron, however, it remains very low and barely reaches the occupants thanks to intensive finishing touches on door seals, exterior mirrors and water-catching strips. The passengers can talk to each other comfortably even at high speeds. The windshield comes standard with double glazing. Audi also offers acoustic glazing for the side windows as an option.
The equipment, data and prices specified in this document refer to the model range offered in Germany. Subject to change without notice; errors and omissions excepted.